View Single Post
Old 07-08-2014, 07:11 AM   #2
bufmatmuslepants

Re: Project Craigslist Karma into a family vehicle

When I got to the truck the driver window was down about an inch with the battery dead and he said it had been sitting for 2 weeks, but I think it was longer. The carpet on the driver side was wet. He was also a smoker so the interior smelled pretty bad, and with 214k on the clock, it had seen some dirty times with little cleaning. I grabbed some spot cleaner and soaked the carpet and door panels and then wiped it as best I could with a rag and it took out some of the stains, but the smell lingered. I sprayed a whole bottle of febreeze in there to just get it nice enough to sit it and it still has a lingering stank but its not as bad.

This truck has some things I NEEDED in the new truck, and is missing some that I wish it had. It has 3.73 gears, which my tahoe had but my last Z71 did not, and the tahoe had pulled my dads 5000lb boat a lot easier than the 3.42 equipped Z71, so thats a plus. It does not have the F44 heavy half ton package my last Z71 had, and the tahoe ended up blowing the stock 10 bolt and so it got a 14 bolt sf. When I can source a 3.73 14 sf I will get that installed. Also not having the F44 package it only has 4 leafs instead of 5 in the rear, making it ride nice but not able to handle heavy payloads. I will be installing an add a leaf or finding some 3/4 springs since I will be hauling alot of dirt and stone for some of the honey do projects I have coming up. It has a 6 way power driver seat but a split bench, I wanted a center console. It does not have an overhead console which I like for the sunglasses holder and garage door opener, so Ill be finding one of those to install. It has some custom hill billy dual exhaust on it now that is quiet but has a leak somewhere up front that needs to be fixed. It has a little stumble at idle which I think is either the EGR or the TBI needs rebuilt, I am going to rebuild the TBI first since Im doing that anyways with 214k on the clock, and if that doesnt fix it, next step. The trans shifts firm and consistent, 4x4 works, but I havnt tested the posi really but it seems pretty shot, although I may just put in a 14 bolt before I dig into that. The power steering squeels a little at full lock, so that needs addressed. Other than that and some rust holes starting under the extended cab its a pretty solid truck, and had a bedliner its whole life so the bed is in EXCELLENT shape. The hood is in primer, the grill is dull, the wheels are dull and peeling, and the lights are dull, so all of those will be restored.

The goal of this truck is to be a weekend warrior truck for hauling the boat and home depot runs, and when it is clean enough that my wife lets our (about to be born any day now) daughter to ride in it, a vacation vehicle for christmas and long holidays to haul all of our crap to our family's houses in CT and NY. Ill take more pictures as I go, but wanted to get a thread started. The baby is due any day now, just waiting for that phone call, so that may slow me down, along with all of the other chores I have around the new house.
1995 NZZ GT4 2dr Tahoe 3" lift 14 bolt sf 155k 305/70/16s - GONE
1994 Z28 M6
1995 Z71 GT4 G80 ext cab short bed 215k GONE
1997 GT4 G80 Yukon 4 door leather, sunroof 168k miles GONE
2003 Avalanche Z71 GT4 G80 165k miles
bufmatmuslepants is offline   Reply With Quote