View Single Post
Old 06-15-2018, 07:45 PM   #34
Rich69shortfleet

Re: Need help with dash lights

Quote:
Originally Posted by 72LB View Post
I've been thinking of brighter lights just don't want overly bright. I really like the green just don't want the cab to glow at night, how are they driving at night?
I typically keep my dashlights fairly dim, though as I get older I have brightened them up recently.

In the truck, however, I've always found the dash lights rather impotent. Before LEDs I typically had the gauge lights pretty much at full power anyway. The lighting is weak and the gauges sit well below the line of sight of the driver so I typically had them at or near full power. With the LEDs they are as bright or brighter than the full setting previously, but with the strong green tint they are still not glaringly bright, just a nice strong glow if that makes sense. If you want to use nondimable LEDs, just get straight firing bulbs and the lighting will be full but dim. If you want bright, get straight and side firing super bright bulbs and you'll get a fuller more intense lighting. Compare my earlier and later photos in this thread to see the brightness level difference. Or, just search out dimable LEDs. You only need four, but the only dimable 194s I found were $5 EACH. Still, $20 isn't a huge investment.

One of the nicest side effects of LEDs is the lowered load on those flimsy circuit panels used on these instrument clusters. I can't imagine LEDs ever drawing enough current to melt a circuit. Another nice side effect is that the LEDs don't brighten and dim with engine speed.

I also installed the accessory footwell lights and put high power 1156 LED bulbs in them along with a bright LED festoon in the dome light and wired them up with door jamb switches and I REALLY REALLY like the powerful illumination I now have upon entering the cab. I have absolutely no concern leaving the doors open while working on something with no concern the bulbs will be melting light housings or the dome light lens.

Last edited by Rich69shortfleet; 06-15-2018 at 07:52 PM.
Rich69shortfleet is offline   Reply With Quote