View Single Post
Old 06-27-2013, 05:22 AM   #29
Grizz1963

Re: Grizz's Redneck Express 1966 Chevy Short Fleetside BILLYBOB

Stripping off trucks chrome side trim etc....?

Right, the decission has already been made to bring our plan of action forward by three years.
Due to unforseen circumstance and unfortunate rear ending of the truck 10 minutes after buying it (you could not make it up this good) by my wife..... In 30 years of driving she has never even hit a shopping trolley. So of course we were both gutted when we saw that the rear bumper had dented the rear light panel bent itself and pushed the rear fender out over the wheel, cracking the paint over the chassis stay. Tough luck ehhh?? We have decided that rather than me do the repaint myself in three years, I will find someone who can repair rust, multiple dents, dings and scratches sooner than planned and of course at our own expense.
It means denting our unemployment backup savings, but it is a priority, RIGHT?

I am planning on stripping and refitting the major bits like chrome, lights, grille, bumpers etc to try contain costs.
Plan is a cab on respray with rear body off. This is and will stay a driver and "working truck"

My question today is this.....

Just how hard is it to remove all the chrome side trim etc without destroying it?

Our trucks side trim is actually quite damaged but there is no way I can afford to replace the whole set with new.

The bits I am concerned about are by the door lock on the body etc.

Happy for all advice, links, videos, photos and laughter at the situation that got us here.

Thanks for your input.
Posted via Mobile Device

Last edited by Grizz1963; 06-27-2013 at 05:32 AM.
Grizz1963 is offline   Reply With Quote