View Single Post
Old 03-11-2017, 12:56 PM   #6
damnyankee36

Re: Rear tank but original filler

Quote:
Originally Posted by PGSigns View Post
I would find a fuel door off a late model truck and put the into the fender. That one on your truck does look out of place. When I moved my tank I made a dummy cap and filler out of a chunk of 3" aluminum in the lathe. Looks like a real cap but no chance of any one ever putting gas in it.
Jimmy
I'm gonna basically do the same thing as vin63 and PGSigns. I'm using the original short filler tube that the cap attaches to and let the rubber grommet hold the tube and cap assembly in place. The grommet holds it pretty tight; don't think there will a problem. I might use a hose clamp around the tube behind the grommet just in case and also cap off the interior end of the tube.

I patched in a square filler door assembly from a 70's truck for the bed side. I think it will look factory. I did have to notch the bed wood and interior bed side to allow the filler tube to align with the filler port and tank. I'll fab a rounded 45 degree cover to place over the tube. See the circled area in the pic. (It wasn't notched at that point in time.)
Attached Images

damnyankee36 is offline   Reply With Quote