View Single Post
Old 03-20-2017, 10:27 PM   #1
cshanek

Time to play ... Name that Noise!

I noticed coming home last Friday in my 64 C20, that she would go in and out of a loud diesel sounding noise (seriously sounds like a large diesel engine) coming from under the hood. I was fortunate enough to have experienced an engine knock from my POS Neon about 20 years ago, and this noise certainly isn't that loud or pronounced, though it does sound a little too loud/thump-like to be a lifter tick. The noise comes and goes at all RPMs, with or without me applying gas, and in every gear. Sometimes at red lights, sometimes while driving. It usually last for 1-3 minutes or so. I recording the transition (at about 13 seconds) from "diesel" noise to standard tonight after letting it idle in my garage for about 10 minutes. I should also mention I put a bunch of 10w40 in when I got it home after buying it, because it was completely dry, and that was all I had at the time. Any thoughts?

For now I plan on trying Rislone and/or Motor Medic, changing the oil filter and filling her up with 10W30.

https://drive.google.com/open?id=0B6...2pIeVNpcnpybGc

Last edited by cshanek; 03-20-2017 at 10:35 PM. Reason: Bad link
cshanek is offline   Reply With Quote