View Single Post
Old 06-22-2017, 04:33 PM   #200
SilverMiner

Re: 1978 Russet Metallic 4x4

Quote:
Originally Posted by buffydores View Post
If I'm going through the trouble of pulling the transfer case, I may have the TH350 rebuilt and cleaned up.
I heartily agree with 68Timber - absolutely nothing wrong with the good old NP203. And if you can keep it full time, even more power to you. Someday the last surviving full time 203 will be converted, and there will be no baseline to compare to. I wish I had kept my 78 Jimmy full time just to remind myself how the world used to be and to do a direct comparison against my newer 80 Suburban with a 205

Also, if you do need to pull the tcase by all means pull the trans at the same time and keep them connected. Removing the notoriously heavy 203 all on its own is perhaps the most miserable task on our trucks, second only to attempting to reinstall it. There may be special trans jacks or jigs available, but I'm not familiar with them. Removing the bellhousing bolts, torque converter bolts and then the crossmember bolts and lowering the entire assembly is in my opinion much simpler and safer.