View Single Post
Old 08-29-2018, 01:04 AM   #367
HO455
Post Whore

Re: Working Man's Burbon

The WMB started giving a small backfire out of the passenger side exhaust early last week and by the end of the week it was getting loud and extremely annoying. I pulled the plugs on the passenger side and found the #6 plug fouled. I hadn't driven the truck the last couple of days so l couldn't smell fuel on it but my hope is that it is a fuel issue. I have noticed that most of the time my fuel pressure gauge shows zero and I was assuming it had expired.
I cleaned the fouled plug and swapped it with #8 to see if the problem would go away or at least get better. Upon start up it seemed to idle smoother but I noticed the fuel pressure was reading 6.25 PSI. I adjusted it down to 5 PSI and went for a 10 mile test drive. For the most part the backfire went away. I checked the pressure again went I got back home and it was reading zero again. I tapped the regulator a couple of times and it started reading 3.5 PSI. The regulator is the generic Holley style and it is not giving me a happy feeling. It has no name or number on it so I don't think it is worth trying to rebuild, so I'll replace it. I am not sure as to what I need as the fuel pump is a Mallory Comp 140 which is overkill for the engine. So my new regulator will have to be up to a 12-15 PSI input and a non return set up.
Attached Images

If it breaks I didn't want it in the first place
The WMB repair thread http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=698377
HO455 is offline   Reply With Quote