View Single Post
Old 09-16-2014, 07:47 PM   #2
davepl

Re: 69 chevy feeling tired!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Longbedstepper View Post
Hi, this is my first post on this forum.
Welcome! Glad to have another aboard.

Quote:
When I first got it it ran good, but I could tell it needed tuned up.
I'm not sure how both can be true, but ok....

Quote:
I took the old nasty quadrajet off and replaced it with a 1406 edelbrock.
That's just trading a Q-Jet for an AFB. The Q-Jet is a better carb, but needed repair. A new or rebuilt Q-Jet (or if that's the original carb for that engine, that particular carb rebuilt would be the best) would have been a more direct replacement, but I guess the Carter will work too.

Quote:
My problem is when you step on the gas, all that happens is it gets louder. I made sure the timing was right (10*)
Well a small block with big tires will never be fast, but it sounds like you're comparing it to itself, so probably OK.

I would suspect you've messed up the ignition timing. Could be a bad distributor, user error, or any number of things.

You may have verified that you have 10 degrees of initial advance, but its probably more important to know what the total advance is and when that kicks in.

Disconnect and plug the vacuum advance port at the carb. Have someone hold the engine at about 3000 rpm. Carefully check your timing and it should be around 34 degrees. If its not, your mechanical advance is hooped. If you do not have a timing tape on the balancer you will need a dial-back timing light to check it.

I'll presume you checked that you have spark at all 8 cylinders and that no wires are reversed.
davepl is offline   Reply With Quote