View Single Post
Old 10-10-2012, 10:09 PM   #119
THE "10" SILVERADO

Re: 1978 big ten build

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1978chevybigten View Post
Got the truck registered today, and drove her for the first time in a few months. she drove good. but had one hitch, the transmission dipstick filler tube boot broke off when i checked the fluids, and i was headed down the road and the engine started smoking like crazy. somehow tranny fluid came out of the filler tube and hit the headers... has this ever happened to anyone? the dipstick said i was right on not to full not to low.... also i need to replace the transmission gasket. whats the best way to take off the transmission crossmember??
Need to get the tranny out to get the crossmember. Other than that pretty simple. "supposed" to be on with 9/16 bots. Mine had an assortment. Once the bolts are out just slide it out; you might have to hammer it out. If your truck cab mounts are not on a crossmember (like mine where) and are on the mounts that are rivited to the frame, you might have a problem with the frame bending and then you will have trouble getting the crossmember back in. Good luck.