View Single Post
Old 03-11-2021, 04:12 PM   #265
phillipm

Re: 78 2wd Blazer - LS Swap and more..

Quote:
Originally Posted by BlueJeep View Post
Thank you!!

Will the addition of your rear air materially change your compressor requirements, do you know? What is the unit out of? I wondered if I should explore one out of a newer suburban or tahoe, vs. the original unit.

Sounds like I should abandon my hopes of running the LS compressor before I start, that's helpful to know now. I have a 10SE18F compressor, which I've been able to find zero information on the internet for.
I've spent some time talking with Rick Love from Vintage air and he said that no, the 709 should be capable of handling the second evaporator as well. I have the same one in my OBS Tahoe which has much larger evaporators so I can confirm he's right. The bigger thing is getting a condenser that can get rid of the heat. So I'm upgrading that too at the same time. I don't know anything about that compressor but I'd assume it's an update to the two that I listed. You could use it if you're going to use the factory front system (as long as it's not a variable compressor) but if going VA or RM on the system go ahead and put in a 709. Do not use a 508, it will be too small as I tested that one as well. Wouldn't cool the truck at an idle. Too much of a heat load. I have 508's in all of my muscle cars and it works great there. End of the day it's just about sizing everything to match and work with the truck. Much like home HVAC systems. As for a newer unit out of a Tahoe or suburban, I'm sure it could be made to work but IMO wouldn't be worth the effort. Just refurb the stock rear unit and run it. Anything it can do to help cool the Sub will be great.
phillipm is offline   Reply With Quote