View Single Post
Old 09-14-2012, 12:56 AM   #389
hgs_notes
GEARHEAD

Re: Project: Turbo 250

Good progress despite the injury.

BTW, its not always the stupid drivers in the cars. I'm not commenting on what happened with you specifically.

This morning there were 2 bikes behind me and a couple other cars, with a semi in front of us. Doing about 60 in a 55, not really slowing anyone down. One biker saw space in the oncoming lane and went for it, passing 3 cars, the semi and another car in front of that in one shot. No issues, good for him. The second bike waited a while, didn't seem like he was in too much of a hurry, then he suddenly guns it, hard. Flies by me and is accellarating, the car in front of me also decided to pull out and pass the semi at the same time. It's entirely possible he looked and checked his mirror before pulling out and didn't see the bike, but the bike was doing about 80 mph or more trying to pass 2 cars and a semi at once. That didn't give the car driver much of a chance to see the bike. It all ended well. The bike managed to slow down before slamming into the back of the car, they both passed the semi and went on their way.

My point here is that the bikes have so much accelleration that even if you know they are behind you, and you look, the couple seconds it takes for you to see that it is also clear in the oncoming lane may be all the time it takes for the bike to suddenly be at your door mirror. I'm very glad I wasn't a witness to a bloody mess.

Then about an hour later, a bike flew past me again. This time it was freeway. Me and the other traffic were doing about 70 in a 65 and its a lot of traffic. The bike is weaving through it at around 85-90 mph. Sorry if I'm not sympathetic if he ends up in someone elses back seat.

I'm not trying to bash on the bikers here. I've had a few myself over the years and had plenty of close calls and near misses. There are just too many examples of the bikers not riding responsibly to always blame it on the car drivers being stupid. If you're on a bike in traffic, be careful. Everything on the road around you can kill you if it hits you.
hgs_notes is offline   Reply With Quote