View Single Post
Old 02-13-2018, 12:46 AM   #10
jocko

Re: Timing Marker _ Crate Motor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ryan5O View Post
No the distributor is not installed.

From what your saying, and probably the direction I'm heading, the safe bet is to get a crank socket and line it up.

After that is done, is it as simple as installing the balancer and then the timing marker?
If you take the timing cover off and watch the dots as you rotate - if you observe that as the cam gear dot is at 6 o'clock that the crank gear dot lines up with it (i.e. at 12 o'clock) then you are good. If you want to degree the cam, now is the time to do it. It's not required, but it will help you confirm that "0" on the timing tab is actually 0 deg TDC. The markers aren't always exactly accurate - but this level of anal retentiveness is usually reserved for race motors - just installing the timing tab in its normal spot is close enough for government work.

BREAK BREAK

You can button things up at that point. When it comes time to install the distributor, recommend do a search on here for how to do it properly. Keep in mind that when the timing dots are aligned at 6 and 12 o'clock on the cam and crank gears, respectively, that the engine is actually at the EXH stroke on #1 cylinder and the firing stroke of #6 cylinder. So, ya gotta keep all that in mind as you install the distrib. It's best to think of the timing dots as simply the aid that helps you get the crank and cam properly timed - ignition timing is a separate animal.

EDIT: DANG I type slow... truckster hit the nail on the head with what I was trying to get across in the last paragraph. And to install the distrib, I do just what he said: if you lined up the dots at 6/12 and button up the engine - then rotate the crank around 1x back to the same TDC point (or initial timing advance point) and THEN drop the distrib in with the rotor pointing toward #1 cyl - and confirm it is lined up with the #1 plug wire tower on the distrib cap when you install it. That will get you close enough to start the motor - then you can adjust/refine initial advance with a timing light after you start up.
jocko is offline   Reply With Quote