View Single Post
Old 01-14-2018, 12:44 AM   #282
gigamanx

Re: 1949 Chevy with S10 swap. Beginner build with ambition!

Shake down drive Friday. Almost lost the upper radiator hose. Not sure why but it seems the clamp had come loose or was never tightened. No idea... Does the radiator tube slowly compress with a clamp on it and become loose? It was below 32F for the past 3 weeks or so, I'm not sure if the fluid froze up a little and pushed the hose off. Thank goodness for short drives to check things haha. I also have my three inch spacers on the rear. I think it pushes the wheel out perfectly for me. 5.5" backspacing on the Ridler's because I got a great deal on CL and figured spacers could fix any problems.

Lights all worked nicely. I also checked my vacuum wipers. They work, but barely. Seems they need to be lubricated or something. Turned all the way up, they barely make it across the windshield. I ordered new wiper blades hoping that helps. Has anyone had the need to lubricate the moving components? I'm also thinking of putting a hose clamp on just incase I'm leaking vacuum pressure somewhere. Passenger side doesn't seem to go all the way across. Not sure if that's normal operation

Check the video to see the wipers. Audio warning, I'm standing next to a running engine with no hood

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0Vg_eDcIhYQ

Ready to put the door and hood on so I can take a longer drive. I have all the lights working now and put some sealant on a few areas to slowly tighten up the interior All these little jobs are great when I get to drive it on a nice day. OH, I also built my shift lever. It's a wrench from my late grandfather's garage. He engraved his own tools as a mechanic and I inherited some of them. I was careful not to weld or affect the wrench, so its sitting on a 14mm nut that was welded to a bracket. Worked awesome! Needs a shift boot, but I haven't found one that works yet; happy to take suggestions on that one

Tuning was off again. I think the HEI might be slipping so I need to check that out. I also changed my air filter so I may just need to retune the carb. Same problem I had a few months back where I turn the key off, but the engine keeps going and makes an awful noise when it finally runs out of unspent fuel.

Next steps over these next few weeks are finishing up the inner fender on the drivers side, wiring, noticed a low beam out on the passenger side, oh and I still need a temporary bed. Probably find a piece of plywood cut to size and throw it in there. I have some welds to fix because I forgot I only tack welded a few spots on the bed frame. Well, that came apart when I screwed it all together haha.

Build Thread Phase 1 "The Swap": 1949 3100 with S10 swap. Beginner build with ambition!

Build Thread Phase 2 "The Drop": Beginner Build with Ambition gets Air Ride
gigamanx is offline   Reply With Quote