View Single Post
Old 01-16-2018, 03:16 PM   #284
gigamanx

Re: 1949 Chevy with S10 swap. Beginner build with ambition!

Quote:
Originally Posted by 99 to Life View Post
congrats on the shakedown. do you have a timing light? does it start up fine? You may notice start up on a hot day or engine be different from a cool day or engine. I'd get timing light and confirm your mark on balancer. Just youtube some vids on how to do that. If you have stock cam odds are its very mild, so not too hard to get timing in the right ball park. It would be really nice if you knew more about your cam, which will effect your "ideal" timing. But carb and tuning will effect things also. Are you running a mechanical or electric fuel pump? Either way, I like to have my fuel pressure regulated on an edelbrock to 4.5 psi. (not sure on your set up, but more info you have the better) always adjust your idle screws when carb is warm. Wouldn't hurt to check your carb out internally at some point too. But if you wanna go the route to just get you by. Slowly move your dist in small increments and start and just off engine, that can tell you alot. I like to run a vaccum gauge on my engines, really tells you alot about what is goin on.
I opted not to spend the money on a timing light knowing I'd use it maybe once or twice in its lifetime once the timing was set. I'm hoping to be "good enough" to drive it to a shop and have them do that and the TV cable adjustment. Everything is within pretty close range I feel. Start up and warm up are just fine. I don't notice any pinging or knocks in the engine. It's just turning off seems like its burning unspent fuel (too rich). I did just change the air cleaner so that may have changed it enough if the new air cleaner is more restrictive.

Fuel is running at 4psi. I don't seem to lose any power across the curve. Carb is brand new, so I'm assuming its pretty solid. Although, I assumed that about my brand new steering column and park lights and look at the electrical problems those caused haha.

Starting to consider the reality that I may not be able to paint my own truck. Building a whole paint booth while still having room for the truck to be blown apart for paint is a bit daunting. I don't have driveway or space next to the garage to store stuff. Might be time to get a professional on that step. Maybe they'll let me do all the sanding, prep, and primer and I'll have a shop shoot the color and clear properly. I would imagine it being much cheaper if I put hours into the body work first.

Build Thread Phase 1 "The Swap": 1949 3100 with S10 swap. Beginner build with ambition!

Build Thread Phase 2 "The Drop": Beginner Build with Ambition gets Air Ride
gigamanx is offline   Reply With Quote