View Single Post
Old 04-21-2012, 09:25 PM   #70
Modges'66

Location: Grand Rapids, Michigan, otherwise known as Beer City U.S.A.
Re: My Unexpected '66 SWB-Fleet-Restomod Project!

Quote:
Originally Posted by McMurphy View Post
Any chance you could have someone take pics of you demonstrating how you did that?
I had to patch a couple areas of my grill along that edge and I, like you, want that to pop!
and yours certainly does !!!

Nicely done!
These are for you McMurphy!...And anyone else that cares to look!

Now keep in mind, I did this work to the bare panel, not after priming it.
1st I used the edge of a piece of flat-stock to get the bottom of the bead to a consistent depth by tapping the edge with a hammer while moving across the length of the panel. This process may take several passes as you are not interested in distorting the rest of the panel, just the depth of the "vee".
Careful observations need to be given to the effects that are being obtained...You will get a feel for how hard you need to hit it.
Next I took a round chainsaw sharpening file to the bead bottom to remove any high spots that were left.
And finally, I used a square file to sharpen the bottom corner of the bead.
Both sides of the "vee" need to be addressed separately to maintain a straight line for the groove that you are cutting.
Using the files will be difficult at first, as they will want to cut-in on any high spots, but as the surface gets flatter the files will simply glide across, as there is nothing left to cut!
And there you have it!...IMO
Attached Images

Modges'66 is offline   Reply With Quote