Thread: Harmonic b
View Single Post
Old 08-10-2018, 03:44 PM   #7
68ihscout

Quote:
Originally Posted by RichardJ View Post
Were you trying to pull the balancer on with the original balancer bolt?

I don't know how you were trying to install the balancer, nor do I have any way of knowing the condition of the threads remaining. All I'm offering is how I install balancers and what I would do to attempt to finish your installation.

That bolt is always too short for installation purposes. Try to clean the threads up again. Find an extra long bolt that can be threaded in, all the way to the bottom of the hole. Assemble a large, extra fat washer(s) to push against the balancer. Next is a stack of high quality thrust washers. Preferably with a couple of polished stainless washers and a few drops of oil. Next is a nut that you will be turning to push the balancer in.

When you're turning a bolt that is being used as the installer, it is only pulling on a few threads at a time and wearing away the threads as it is turning. A long bolt that isn't turning, is pulling against all of the threads, the full length of the hole.

I have an assortment of old bearing and gear pullers. Among those pullers I can always find the right center bolt with the right threads that I can turn into an installer for a variety of engines.

The balancer pictured is a photo I posted on a Corvair forum, but you should be able to see that the nut is doing all the work and it is turning against oiled thrust washers.
i bought and used the correct tool for the job ,the one that shows on your picture..
Posted via Mobile Device
68ihscout is offline   Reply With Quote