Thread: 55.2-59 Cleaning vintage chrome?
View Single Post
Old 03-21-2019, 12:27 AM   #8
DransportGarage

Re: Cleaning vintage chrome?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dan in Pasadena View Post
0000 steel wool.

What I've always wonders about and never tested is if it's really old and dull, would a serious attempt at re-polishing under a buffer with rouge help or make it worse? This of course assuming the plating isn't flaking or pitted badly just faded.
WARNING: The steel wool helps for a while on damaged chrome, but will put micro-scratches in the chrome, so don't use it on good chrome.

Rouge is a mild abrasive. If the chrome is in good shape, without pits, I wouldn't use it. If the surface is already damaged, use whatever you'd like to try. It's shot anyway, and maybe it'll look better for a while.

For chrome that is intact, I'd clean it with mild soap and water and then use a product made for polishing chrome. A lot of people use Mother's, but I've never been impressed with it. I have a 1000 gram (2.2 lb.) can of Simichrome that cost me a fortune 20 years ago. Amazon still has it, along with other sizes:

https://www.amazon.com/s?k=simichrom...nb_sb_ss_i_3_4

A tube lasts longer than you would think. Simichrome is also a mild abrasive, but it's made for chrome. It can be sued with a buffing wheel or ball. Just don't get carried away.

I don't mean for this to sound like an ad for Simichrome. It's just what I've used. There are other great products out there. I've tried several but come back to S...
Bob's Retirement Build - My 55 TF
Bob's 700R4 Build (how-to)

Last edited by DransportGarage; 03-21-2019 at 12:34 AM.
DransportGarage is offline   Reply With Quote