View Single Post
Old 07-29-2015, 03:14 PM   #1
Scott2

Thumbs up Scott's '51 Build

I am working out the plan for my 1951 Chevy 3100. The truck was sitting in a farm field in Wyoming for many years, and was partially disassembled and is missing a lot of parts. The glass is all broken and the interior is nasty. It also has a GMC motor which is too long so someone took out the radiator and cut up the radiator mount.

The body has serious "patina" which means it's a rusty heap and has all the normal accumulated damage plus is missing the tailgate. Nevertheless, I like the look and plan to keep the body essentially as-is (both because I like it and also because the body and paint work is $$$). So here's the plan so far:

- I ordered a TCI IFS/4 link/coil-over chassis with a 9" rear w/posi, disc brakes, power rack, chassis mounted brake booster, etc.
- I'm in the hunt for an LSx motor, preferably an LQ9 with auto.
- Still thinking about wheels and tires but leaning toward Foose or Boss 18's.
- I get the chassis in early September so between now and then I will take all the sheet metal off and sell the complete original frame with motor, trans, and rear-end.
- I will need to replace the cab corners and floors, and maybe more once I look harder.
- Maybe clear coat the body with flat lacquer so I don't ruin my clothes every time I touch it.

I have tons of questions but I'm scouring the boards now to gather info and then will ask when I can't figure things out. Of course, advice and suggestions are welcomed!

Scott
Attached Images

Scott2 is offline   Reply With Quote