View Single Post
Old 04-11-2017, 08:29 AM   #23
PGSigns

Re: Ordered the Holley Sniper

Here is where I am at now and you guys need to understand I am a mad tinkerer and never really happy unless I am trying "to see what happens if". My buddy has a race engine shop and has done a lot of vortec head engines and really knows them well. This gives me access to lots of dyno information and a very good engine tuner. So now I'm looking at changing the intake to an open plenum super victor after we get the tune worked out with the duel plane. The vortec motors have a little trouble with feeding cylinder 2 and 6 with a dual plane intake and you can make them happy but you don't end up with a overall great tune with that setup. It will be good tune and a lot better than a carb can do but still not as good as you could get with an intake with more even runners. George has run that intake back to back on the dyno on crate dirt engines and power is better everywhere over the dual plane. The tune for a vortec is a pain compared to other small block heads and you have to deal with that. One of the things I am doing is timing control so my need to edit the map both on the timing tables and fuel tables is required. With so many combos out there to make it really run good you need to be able to work with the timing, the fuel tables, the enrichment tables, the IAC settings and understand the relationship they have with each other. Even on a stock small block it will not run good with just putting the base numbers in the hand held. You have to use the software to make the best of it all. The software manual is well written and if you have a good handle on tuning a carb and working with the timing curves in a distributor that will get you started. Just an example of what happens with just using the hand held is when you enter the timing a cruise and the base timing that become you timing curve. You will have 11 at idle rpm and 36 at 1700 through the entire map range except at wide open throttle. Not much except a race motor will run off that. You can down load the software and look at the base settings that Holley uses and easily see why you need to take a little time to learn it to get the most out of the system. I am still struggling a bit with the enrichment tables and getting better at those but I am in my first week with the software and it just takes a bit of time and testing to get it down. So if you are thinking about getting one down load the software and the manual and do some poking around.
Jimmy
1966 BBW long fleet Daily driver
1965 BBW short fleet Sold and going to a good home
1965 Suburban
2003 3500 Duramax
2005 Ultra Classic
PGSigns is offline   Reply With Quote