View Single Post
Old 05-28-2011, 11:11 PM   #24
SulphuriousSam

Red face Re: Rattle Can or Primer before body work...

Quote:
Originally Posted by DesertCat View Post
Oh please, honestly guys... my suggestion of using wax is no big deal... sheesh. Bottom line is that truck is gonna need to be stripped prior to a real paint job anyway, that is SO obvious. Who cares if the wax permiates the existing paint, scratches, etc...? It has to come off. Period.

Made my living as a painter for over a dozen years in high end shops... not an amature opinion.

So if you want to coat it in any way, form, or fashion, that will ALL need to come back off anyway.

Good old carnuba wax will be the easiest, quickest, and cheapest way to seal for now AND be the easiest, quickest, and cheapest to remove when the time comes.

Your truck, do as you please...
Honestly I was hoping you would reply again because I wanted to go with your wax idea and my friend at work shot the idea down. No disrespect was ever intended!

Quote:
Your freind would be correct IF you could save the existing paint, but you can't. Sorry. Even if you went straight to your eventual paint job now, it needs to be stripped.

The problem is the existing paint has almost completely broken down and is not a stable substrate to work with. Trying to cheat here will cost in the end.

Remember, it's the prep that separates a good paint job from a crappy one.
Well I guess I'll just wax as that sounds the cheapest route until I get her mechanically sound and running good. Thanks for the heads up!

Quote:
Get a rag really wet with some lacquer thinner and the spray paint will wipe right off.
Yeah I planned on doing just that. Project starts in a week or two, we've been moving the last couple of weeks and once we have the house squared away I'm going to get started. Have to do breaks all around, new rings, and no telling what I'll find once we open that engine up! Guys I really appreciate your comments and advice...I won't be trading the wife or the truck though, I happen to love em both haha!
Posted via Mobile Device
Posted via Mobile Device

1966 C10 LWB, 283, 3 on the tree (lots of work to do!) http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=471348
2001 Suburban daily driver
2008 HHR (wife's ride)
SulphuriousSam is offline   Reply With Quote