View Single Post
Old 08-20-2013, 11:16 PM   #16
russgoodman

Re: Project "3Face"

The latest project I've been working on is getting new wheels/tires so I can drive it/roll it around the yard. The old wheels were rusted out and the tires wouldnt hold air very long. I used the opportunity to start the 5 lug conversion. After measuring the rear I determined that it was the correct narrow rear end for a 69. I ordered a set of the Moser axles from Summit, I think they are the 30.5 inch axles. I also went ahead and got new 5 lug drums. They don't have adjustment holes so I'm going to pull them off and try to make my own adjustment holes once I get time.

I picked up new rear cover gasket, 1/2" wheel studs, brake shoes, and adjusters locally at Autozone and Oreillys. I forgot to take pics with the new brake hardware/shoes on.

I found 6 rally wheels in my father-in-laws pasture. He has a used car dealership, wrecker service, mechanic shop, small salvage yard, and he goes around hauling off scrap metal for local farmers. Don't know how he came across these rallys, but they sure helped me out for the time being. Even better was that 4 of them were 5 lug, and 2 were 6 lug. So for now I'm halfway through the 5 lug conversion and Im running mismatched lugged rallys. Once I put the ECE drop kit on, I will switch out the front tires to the other two 5 lug wheels I have and leave them on throughout the restoration process. Its no big deal if they get overspray on them. Once the truck is done and I mount up the 20s, I will restore the rallys - probably powdercoat them and get some nice caps and trim rings and keep them around for winter or a change of pace. Looks like I'm going to have to trim the A arms for that to happen.
Attached Images

2008 GMC Sierra Denali - 6.2L AWD - my daily
2011 Ford Flex Limited - Ecoboost AWD - wife's daily
1987 Buick Regal Turbo T - 63K miles - Strip/Street car
1965 Ford Mustang Coupe - 289, c4, 53K miles
russgoodman is offline   Reply With Quote