Thread: Big Block Build
View Single Post
Old 01-03-2020, 07:11 AM   #9
Pvmt-Pndr

Re: Big Block Build

The specs are 4.25" bore and 3.76" stroke on the tall deck, same as the short deck and the bore is the same as a stock 454.

Current heads are stock medium duty heads 330865 or 343772 I don't recall off the top of my head which set I put on my C60. Both if I recall correctly are open chamber heads and have the same valve specs. I figured aluminum heads would be the best bang for my buck, I understand I'll have a couple/few grand into them alone. The pistons have small notches in them I assume for valve clearances. I plan to buy new pistons because the tall decks uses 4 ring pistons. You're correct the stock crank is forged.

The tall deck intake any more shouldn't be a problem as I understand that most single plans intakes come to accommodate the longer distributor needed for the tall decks. Basically the hole is drilled down lower in the intake to accept the standard distributor.

Running E85 I will be able to run a much higher than usual compression ratio. I'll just go through a lot more of it than I would 110 octane. It should run cooler and have potential to make more power. I'm no expert, no dummy either but not quite knowledgeable enough to dive in without some guidance.

I don't have a set hp goal. I'm not going to say I want an engine that makes 900 hp. The way the truck is set up I feel a strong mid range torque build with a pretty flat curve would do best. Wherever the horse power lands is where it lands. Torque is the only thing measured, horsepower is figured.

Last edited by Pvmt-Pndr; 01-03-2020 at 07:27 AM.
Pvmt-Pndr is offline   Reply With Quote