Thread: P0446 mil
View Single Post
Old 04-11-2019, 10:57 AM   #3
speedygonzales

Always scan twice

Not knowing how many times this code popped up, my advice is always clear a code and look for it to return.

Nearly any code can be a result of a glitch. I've had several over the 20 years I've had mine, come up once to never return again. Also in that 20 years, I've still got the original hardware for the EVAP system.

I had an evap code once about 10 years ago to which a new cap cured the problem. I am the only guy in my neighborhood with a good scanner so my neighbors have me scan their vehicles for them. ALL of my many neighbors that had an EVAP code have cured it with a new cap.

I don't like locking caps because they never feel "cranked" down tight to me. It requires a tight seal to keep from leaking.

Another point of contention with regard to leaking. I ask customers at my store that have an evap leak if they recently did a fuel pump replacement. It's highly important the seal for the pump be good to not leak vacuum.

The other thing to remember is things like a body lift where the fuel pipe has to be extended. Yet another place to leak vacuum.

Last i don't believe in coincidence. I feel that you or the shop leaned on something too hard while doing the compressor work. Start with a thorough inspection of the joints and hoses nearest the compressor and work out in perimeter from there.