View Single Post
Old 10-08-2016, 09:59 AM   #115
Chevy3+3

Re: 87 Chevy Crew Cab 4x4 Converion/Cummins swap

Quote:
Originally Posted by DieselRat View Post
Mostly 4th and 5th. I'm aware of the 5th gear problem, which is the curse is trying to find OTHER problems because thats the go to problem with these trans. It had the 5th gear nut fixed.
I swapped an NV4500 into my truck. It hadn't been ran in a while because the truck was wrecked but had about 10K on a rebuild. I bought it from the guy who decided to part out his truck. It made a little noise but anything with gears is noisier usually anyway.

I decided to change the oil in it. They recommend filling them 1 qt over the fill plug. The last quart will need to be added thru the shift tower. You can't use just any gear oil. Most everyone says use GM or Dodge oil. It is worth the price of gold at about $30/qt. I actually used Amsoil MTG. It is specifically formulated for the NV4500 transmission and I got mine bought for around $12-13/qt. I have not had any problems with it and my transmission has gotten quitter and shifts smoother. I believe that Redline oil makes an oil specifically for the NV4500 also.