View Single Post
Old 09-29-2017, 12:41 PM   #9
dwntwn

Re: School Me on Diesels

Just my opinion so take it with a grain of salt.

If someone gave me a complete, running 6.2/6.5 vehicle that was too far gone to save the rest of I'd do the diesel conversion.

If its a non-running basically unknown vehicle/motor I'd probably hold off unless it was free or next to free. You might want to tinker with a non-running diesel, so if thats the case go for it if its a good price!

I love square Suburbans—I've had 5 different ones over the past 14 years. 454s, 350s, 2ed, 4wd. Awesome vehicle that you can do so much with. I never thought they put a great diesel in one, tho. The 6.2/6.5s were ok but I'm more partial to a Cummins.

Last month I picked up a running, driving 1991 Dodge D250 diesel thats beat to hell, has a bent frame but drives perfectly fine until I swap it into my '88 R20 2wd Suburban.

That Dodge cost me $2000 and it gets 22mpg empty. Its a fair amount of work to do the Cummins in the Chevy but really not that much more than an LS swap (if you have a complete donor vehicle)

I'm driving both vehicles for now, will start the conversion soon I hope.

I like gassers but understand where you're coming from with diesels. Especially the mileage factor
1980 shovelhead, hardtail, open primary
1998 FXDWG
dwntwn is offline   Reply With Quote