View Single Post
Old 09-11-2017, 09:19 PM   #13
cruizin01

Re: '78 K20 to C10. Almost 20 years in the making.

Finished up the rear axle. All but bolting the brakes on. Still waiting on the ebrake calipers. Not happy with the rust bullet top coat. But I didn't follow the directions 100% so Im going with that as an excuse. Its super glossy as well. Im gonna try something different on the front susp parts. I may go back at some point and strip the rear but itll be fine for now.

Decide to remove the front susp from the frame so I could get the rest of the frame cut up and make some more room in the garage. Also wanted to move the front susp from the detached garage to my regular garage so I could work on it easier. Im only keeping the front part of the frame to use as a jig for the swap to the blue truck.

It came out quite a bit easier than I was expecting. I thought I had read that it was riveted in place but everything unbolted. I didn't break a single bolt. The hardest part was trying to get it out from under the frame by myself.

I finally managed to get it out and through a doorway to the yard. I then was able to get wheels back on it so it would roll. I had to bolt the tie rods back in to keep the wheels from collapsing left or right. I then used a 2x4 so I could "drive" the assembly back to the garage. First I had to degrease the thing from the 40 years of grime. Used some spray 9 and a pressure washer. Cleaned up pretty decent.

Now I need to disassemble everything. Clean everything being reused and prep for paint. Im about to order all new Moog susp and steering parts this week. The calipers, rotors and hoses are new from the previous owner so Ill reuse those.
cruizin01 is offline   Reply With Quote