View Single Post
Old 06-09-2017, 03:13 AM   #209
Nick_R_23

Re: Project "You thought yours was bad!" '78 C10 Stepside

So I thought I'd throw a little update in here on how the truck has been coming. Unfortunately, I haven't really been able to drive it much. Another member on here very graciously let me use his tune file since he had a nearly identical setup and it had been dyno tuned. He can make himself known if he so chooses. The updated tune file worked great! However, I'm now getting the dreaded RF interference which has been found out that the Sniper unit is not properly shielded from, and is picking up electrical noise from the MSD magnetic pickup distributor, and essentially shutting the ECU down while driving. There have been a few suggested temporary fixes on the forums, but mine is still having issues.

Apparently the fix for these symptoms is to purchase a $430 Holley Dual Sync distributor and $25 adapter harness (plus shipping!), which uses a hall effect sensor instead of the magnetic pickup. I'm pretty upset to find this out after spending over $350 for my current MSD distributor, extra rotor, and extra cap needed to run timing control on the Sniper system, especially after calling in to Holley and them verifying that all my part numbers I intended to run would be compatible with their system. This is also after a nearly 12 week wait time to even receive my unit, when I was quoted 6 weeks max at the time of my order. I called in to Holley about my issues and they are currently refusing to discount a Dual Sync after all this trouble. I don't feel that I should have to eat the $350 cost of my MSD system AND spend an additional nearly $500 to purchase and ship a Dual Sync to solve an issue that they are responsible for. As of right now, I'm very disappointed in their service and I would be hesitant to recommend this system to anyone. I'm sure with the new distributor and getting things dialed in the last bit that the system would work as expected, but Holley's lack of acknowledgement to their issues and unwillingness to help their customers will definitely make me reconsider purchasing from them in the future.

However, it's not all bad news! I'll fill you all in on another project that I've acquired in the meantime. It's a 1968 Chevelle Malibu that is almost completely original, including the selling dealer paperwork, protect-o-plate, and original owners manual. It came stock with a 307 and a Powerglide, however the block has been changed out at some point to a 305. It was last registered 17 years ago, however, with very minimal effort it now runs and drives! I'm planning on fixing the little things it needs and making it a daily driver to go back and forth to work with.

Nick_R_23 is offline   Reply With Quote