View Single Post
Old 05-09-2013, 09:18 PM   #138
Vic1947

Re: Crusty Rusty Leaky Squeaky 67 Step

At this point I was able to mark the cut lines for the edges of the panel. I did the final trimming and set the panel in place. I could see that the offset where it attaches to the weatherstrip flange was not correct on the driver side, so I used a flanging tool to relocate it to the proper place. I made the final cuts to the existing inner roof panel and clamped the repro panel in place. I had to trim a few more places to get a decent fit, but it looks like it will work. Luckily, as if right on cue, Brian G. showed up and helped hold the roof panel so I could drill a locating hole for a Cleco fastener. I left the old windshield in to make sure the opening stayed true. However, now that the fitment is done, I can remove it so the blaster can get at all the rusty scale. Once it is back from cleanup, I'll spotweld the inner panel to the old inner roof panel and the sides. Then I'll glue the outer roof skin in place. Lastly, I'll spotweld the front of the inner repro panel to the windshield pinchweld. That should help make sure the drip rail / windshield recess doesn't move. Floor is next...
Attached Images

Maybelline - my '57 Ford 2dr Sedan "Mecum'd" 3/2016 Location unknown
Silver Streaker "Mecum'd" 4/2013 Somewhere in Texas
Vic1947 is offline   Reply With Quote