View Single Post
Old 07-08-2008, 11:57 PM   #3
old Chevy guy

5.7 Vortec Timing Problems Please Help!!!

I posted on the 99 and up board with this but it was lonely over there just 2 people including me.Besides my 71 stakebody dump I have a 2001 3500 box truck that we use for my buisness, when you look under the hood it might as well have a nuclear reacter in there cause its all strange to me.I know this is the older truck page but I know there is a lot of great mechanics on the board and owners of newer daily drivers,that said here goes.For as long as we have had this truck the check engine light comes on going up big hills.Ive had the codes read and no one could tell me why.For about 4 or 5 weeks now the truck has been starting funny ,kind of binding up while turning over like the timing was to advanced ya know.Ive been told the timing was not adjustable,that it was computer controled.Well last week we took it to Boy Scout camp with a bunch of troop gear and after being parked for a week she wouldent start,kept binding up real bad,the battery wore down and the motor flooded.We got a ride home and after getting my sons S10 we went back with a new electronic pickup for the distributor.
installed it Jumped it didnt help ,still bound up.Well I was about to give up when I decided to move the distributor anyway.Well it stoped binding and after a little cranking even though it was flooded it started up.We drove her home about 25 miles up hills and all No PROBLEM and no check engine light. When I started it yesterday it bound a little bit when it was cold but not after the first start. same today and the light is still off.So did I fix it or just postpone a bigger problem? Does anyone know about the timing on these or have anyone heard or had a similer problem? Money is short so I cant run over to the chevy dealer and drop it off.Also on Friday and Saturday we are supposed to use it to transport stuff to my sons BSA Eagle project about 25 miles from home so I dont want to get stuck again and skrew that up! It was bad enough to break down after camp and I had to hear about it from all the Ford and Dodge guys! Sorry again to post this here but I need advice quick Thank you for your attention.
old Chevy guy is offline   Reply With Quote