View Single Post
Old 07-12-2018, 01:37 AM   #4
mr48chev

Re: Cutting Down a Tonneau to Fit

I'd agree you have nothing to loose except some time and the cost of the material you need.

I've referred to this book by Don Casey a lot of times and he is pretty good at explaining the process of repairing fiberglass.

One thing you have to do is grind it down on both sides of the repair to V it in so you can build it back with successive lager layers. I took all the through hulls out of the bottom of my sailboat as none of them were used anymore because what they went to had been eliminated long before I bought the boat and the fitttings had been plugged on the inside. Not good if one of the plugs leaks. I ground out an area that was a whole lot larger than the hole but tapered to the outside and started building it up with layers of cloth or mat each one cut just that much larger than the one before until I had built it back up level and had a repair that isn't noticeable and won't fail. Lots of itching on that one though.

That is the other thing with fiberglass, it doesn't bother some guys much and other guys can't get close to it without itching to no end. I sold a really cool Devin sports car body (pre kit car) shell years ago because every time I moved it I itched for hours. I still kick my but for selling it as it was in the raw never touched glass when I traded for it. I've got a 1600 CC 16 valve engine out here that would make it scream now.

I'd cut and fit it and maybe hold the pieces together with some 1/4 plywood and machine screws until I got it fitted to my truck and then start working on the seams where I cut it to make it one piece again.

My ongoing truck projects:
48 Chev 3100 that will run a 292 Six.
71 GMC 2500 that is getting a Cad 500 transplant.
77 C 30 dualie, 454, 4 speed with a 10 foot flatbed and hoist. It does the heavy work and hauls the projects around.
mr48chev is offline   Reply With Quote