View Single Post
Old 06-14-2016, 08:23 PM   #54
GASoline71
"I ain't nobody, dork."

Re: Out of the Ditch = The Rebuild Begins ('72 GMC)

Quote:
Originally Posted by swamp rat View Post
Updates??
Thanks for the bump Swampy...

Made progress over the last couple of days. Got almost all of the Stainless Steel brake lines installed into the rig. The kit was originally installed in the '72 with a leaf sprung rear end. So I had to do some modifications to the lines and the brake hose tabs. I remounted the CPP power brake booster, M/C and prop valve to mock up the lines.

I had to move the brake hose tabs from the rear of the 1969 front crossmember to the front of the crossmember to accommodate the 1972 brake lines that go out to the calipers. So before I scrapped the 1972 frame I had robbed it of the tabs to weld onto the 1969.

I also had to get creative for the rear brake lines as I still wanted to use the 1972 brake lines but the 1969 hose tab was in a completely different location. So I cut the tab off of the axle tube and then welded it onto the 1972 bracket that held the brass fitting that the lines for the drums screwed into.

Now th long brake line that runs along the frame to the rear was way too long, so I had to cut it shorter, bend a 90 in it, and then double flare the end to fit into the stock 1969 frame mount location.

So a little fab work and some patience and I got all the brake lines in. Now the engine and transmission will slide in between the frame rails very soon. I'd like to leave them out while I do all the cutting on the cab for rust removal, but I'm strapped for space, and I've been tripping over the engine and tranny since I removed them.

So it's been a great couple of days!

Gary
Attached Images

My 1972 GMC 1500 Super Custom (Creeping Death) "long term" build thread.

The Rebuild of Creeping Death after the wreck

Quote:
Originally Posted by LONGHAIR View Post
I would never rebuild a 305.
Quote:
Originally Posted by prostreetC-10 View Post
I love using vacuum gauges as part of the carb tuning process. I hook the gauge to the inside of my garbage can and leave it there.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Marv D View Post
Remember Murphys 2nd law of mechanical relationships... "OPPOSING COMPONENTS ATTEMPTING TO OCCUPY THE SAME SPACE, AT THE SAME TIME, GENERALLY END UP OCCUPYING ADJOINING SPACE AT THE BOTTOM OF THE OIL PAN"
Quote:
Originally Posted by cableguy0 View Post
Its cheaper to listen to advice given when you ask for help than it is to ignore everyone and wait for carnage.