View Single Post
Old 02-03-2018, 10:13 PM   #82
BlueBullet

Re: Big Bird - 1972 Longhorn K30

Today was spent cleaning up parts for paint. Finished cleaning the power train and got it primed. Then I tackled the front cross member. I ended up using the '80's style. Wasn't to bad just took some time and a few choice words.. The cross member is actually in backwards compared to the way it was in the K30 frame. I put the cross member in the way the original cross member was and attached the sway bar. Now that I now the position it had to be in I squared it up and got out the torch. With the torch and a good set of welding clamps I heated the edges and pulled top corners up to the frame. I started off with some lighter clamps and they just didn't have the torque. I them did the same for the bottom drivers side. It's doubled up there so you have to get it good and hot then crank er down. Don't forget like I did and remove the bottom bushing. Luckily I caught it in time but still got a little deformed. I then started on the passenger side and worked my way around drilling and bolts. Making sure everything stayed square. For reference the top holes ended up being 2" forward of the factory holes. That was enough fun for one day.
Attached Images

http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=753294
BlueBullet is offline   Reply With Quote