View Single Post
Old 03-13-2020, 10:01 AM   #5
crossy
Oh,you can't buy that new

Re: 98 starter clicks, but not turning over.

Quote:
Originally Posted by rpmerf View Post
Did the different starter work in the truck, or same thing?

Troubleshooting the starter on this is the same as on just about any small block.

Your starter has 3 connections
Ground to the block
Big cable to the battery
Starter signal

If the Bendix is pushing the gear out, that means your starter signal is fine. This means the relay and fuse are fine.

Here is where I would be looking:
#1 - When you turn the key to start and it clicks, what is the voltage at the battery? Do the lights dim down? Sitting voltage on the battery means nothing if it drops like a rock with a load on it.

#2 - Measure the voltage at the big lug starter. This should be equal to battery voltage. Again watch it with the ignition turned to start to watch for a voltage drop due to a bad connection.

#3 - I believe there is a fusable link on the large starter cable. If the big cable does not have power at the starter, this may be it.

#4 - I've heard of starters having bad spots on them. Forget what the actual issue is. If you can rotate the starter a bit, it will work.
Will do, and have another battery gonna try tonite. FUSIBLE LINK in the cable, hmmmmmmm, interesting??have to find that-- voltage gauge did drop at factory gauge, but not significantly. I usually work alone,so tough to be two places at once, but will get the wife to hit key while I measure voltage at STARTER. Replacement 'good' starter acted the exact same that's how I figured it's in the start system somewhere, but I never thought about the battery being shorted internally, and they do that quite a bit these days.
98 Vortec project.
94,3500,6.5L 4L80
81 SWB GMC POS finally gone
73 Pinto, stock, w/CragarSS's-eww
LOTS of Cummins trucks.
crossy is offline   Reply With Quote