View Single Post
Old 11-07-2017, 07:52 PM   #2
Dieselwrencher
6>8 Plugless........

Re: Cummins swap, I know there is a search button but the info is burried in many thr

Quote:
Originally Posted by randy500 View Post
I'm going to swap a cummins in my 72 crew cab.

The donor is a 93 W350 single rear wheel truck.

I know the dana 60 front axle is just about a bolt in with axle pads 1/2" wider and a similar track width.
Dodge D60 is about 2" narrower than a Chevy D60. also the Dodge D60 has 1/2" studs instead of 9/16 ones but you can put the 9/16 ones in your hubs with no mods. Get this bushing kit to make the dodge axle install easier into your chevy chassis.
http://offroaddesign.com/catalog/Dod...apBushings.htm
Here is a link to the D60 bible for more info on them
http://www.pirate4x4.com/tech/billavista/60_front/

I would use the dana 70 rear for the matching 3.55 gears, does anyone know the WMS width?
I would use the stock dodge overdrive trans mated to the dodge NP 205, any known problems making this work?

Your transmission should be an A518. Non lock up, overdrive trans. There is no problem with them being used. They don't get the mileage of a lock up 47rh but get the job done. Is your D70 an HD? I think the WMS on the HD is 66" but I can't remember for sure.
This is the info I am requesting.

1. Any front 4wd Differential clearance problems, I have a 2" lift or so.
A 2" lift will be close. The first gen oil pans have a little more angle on the sump area and tend to get real close to the pinion support web on the D60. You should be ok if you have 2" of lift.
2. Will the engine fit with the radiator in the stock location without firewall mods?
Yes, the engine will fit in there with the radiator in the stock location. I have a stock BBC brass radiator in my 72.
3. I know the Cummins is heavy so I assume frame reinforcement side to side is necessary which would probably be done with the engine mounting but has anyone used the stock cradle to mount the cummins?
If you are planning on using your K10 frame, yes, I would box it under the cab to at least the front leaf spring shackles. Some people have used the stock 1st gen dodge engine cradle but IMO it looks like poo. You're going to want to get poly replacement 1st gen mounts if you plan to use that style. The factory rubber ones don't last in stock form. If I were you and you want this to be a fast swap, call Dawna at Auto World in Montana and get their mount kit with cross member.
http://www.cumminsdieselrepowers.com...ion_Parts.html
Rob Bonney fab is another good source too.
I've just built my cross members on my chevy swaps. There are all kinds of pics online of people who have hacked the stock gas one and dropped them, but again, it looks hack IMO.

Can anyone point me to these problems in previous build threads along with any other obstacles?
Getting 4" exhaust up over the NP205 can be tight and close to the floor. Your front drive shaft will need lengthened more than likely. You can probably use the dodge rear shaft with a yoke change on your rear end.

I don't want the install to languish, I want a quick install and on the road.

Any help is appreciated!
Answers in blue above. If you have more questions, feel free to ask. Like you said, the info is spread out all over in different builds here. But it is here.
1972 Chevy Cheyenne Super K20 Long Step side tilt, tach, tow hooks, AC, 350 4 speed
1972 C10 Suburban Custom Deluxe
1969 Chevy milk truck
1971 Camaro RS 5.3 BTR STG3 Cam Super T10
1940 Ford 354 Hemi 46RH Ford 9" on air ride huge project

Tired of spark plugs? Check this out.

Last edited by Dieselwrencher; 11-07-2017 at 08:11 PM.
Dieselwrencher is offline   Reply With Quote