View Single Post
Old 01-04-2018, 04:48 AM   #1
87Skier

Regearing and rebuilding my axles

I've been working on my 72 GMC Jimmy for a while. It now has a 4.8L, 6L90, and NP205. With the overdrive, I really need to do away with my 3.07 gearing.

I also broke a couple studs in the front axle, they are both open carrier, and I'm pretty sure nothing has been done to the suspension in its lifetime, so I need to redo pretty much everything.

It has a 12 bolt in the rear and a Dana 44 up front. I am going with 4.10/4.11 gears, I have a posi for the rear, and I'll need a new carrier up front. I haven't decided if I want to spend a few hundred extra to get limited slip in the front or not, but I'll decide when it comes time to order parts.

This is mostly a street truck. It will not see deep mud or rock crawling. It may see some overlanding use, but for the most part it is like a hunting rig. It has 33's on it now. I won't go any bigger because I won't lift it, but I may go back to a 31" tire.

Please tell me if I've overlooked something:
For the rear:
Replace all bearings and seals
Check pinion preload
Check wear pattern (get shims for this)
Replace leaf bushings
Brakes have already been done, including frame to axle rubber line
Check u-bolts for rust and corrosion
Replace shocks

For the front:
Replace all bearings and seals, including wheel bearings
Replace u-joints
Replace brake discs
New carrier
Check wear pattern (get shims for this)
Bearing pre-load
Replace leaf spring bushings
Check u-bolts
Replace shocks
Check steering stabilizer
Check steering joints
Rubber brake lines have been replaced
Calipers were replaced 2 years ago
Check for hub wear

I plan on using timken bearings where I can. What brand of gears should I go with? Any good guides out there?

My plan was to leave the axles installed and remove the leaf springs if I have trouble with the bushings. If I do this, I will replace the u-bolts.

Thanks for any suggestions!
87Skier is offline   Reply With Quote