Thread: seat kit
View Single Post
Old 12-03-2017, 06:25 PM   #13
chtr65

Re: seat kit

I have been a trimmer for the last 25 years. I have worked on anything from a 1938 Aston Martin to Chevy trucks in the early 70's. And many in between. Tons of vintage cars. With very few exceptions have I ever seen seats without foam under the top covering. Those exceptions where lightweight Italian race cars. In those few cases the manufacturer chose a Pirelli rubber webbing, and only for weight factor. Manufacturers have been using foam pads of some type since the 20's. Please listen to those that are trying to help others by sharing their knowledge. I know this discussion has hijacked the original intent of this thread, but I see so many people that are very uneducated when in comes to automotive interiors. In the case of our 60-66 trucks, there is a reason that the comfort seat is listed as full foam. This is a hint that the other style is still a foam seat just not FULL foam. The standard seat has arched springs and a foam pad of about 2.5" in depth. The so called full foam seat is just that. A full 9'' of foam pad over straight springs. Also, The foam pads that automotive manufacturers use give the seat its shape and comfort. The post that was posted previously here, of the seat cross section from the official GM book says it all.
chtr65 is offline   Reply With Quote