Thread: My 59 GMC Build
View Single Post
Old 07-18-2019, 03:39 AM   #15
wally_245

Re: My 59 GMC Build

So it has been quite a while since I updated, but I have been making some progress.

Other than a few odds and ends, like the rear taillight harness ( I don't want to wire it until the bumper is on and the bed is mounted.) all of the electrical is done. I painted and installed the (hacked together) battery tray.

IMG_20190707_133535 by Shawn Wallbridge, on Flickr

And I had one of these on my Bike back in the day, but it is a module that flashes your brake lights a few times when you hit the brakes.

IMG_20190601_115656 by Shawn Wallbridge, on Flickr

I pulled the gastank sender and found some bits inside, the sock had fallen off, aaand a a bit of tree.

IMG_20190601_121453 by Shawn Wallbridge, on Flickr

Thankfully the tank looks pretty good. I just need to figure out the fitting, so I can get an adapter for the AN lines I installed.

I installed my radiator, which was a blem from Champion, so I saved a bit but it still looks pretty good, and I had no issues installing it. Buuut, the Lincoln Mark VII fan I was planning on using.....won't fit.

IMG_20190601_123800 by Shawn Wallbridge, on Flickr

So it looks like I will need to pick up a 16" SPAL or something.

I also did some reading on the trans cooler fittings. I found that

1) I really wish I hadn't tossed the brass ones, as it might have been better to just get adapters for those fittings.

2) It's pretty common for someone a TH350's live to use the wrong type of fitting. And alas, mine is one.

So, I put the _right_ fittings in as best as I can, and hopefully it doesn't leak, which would probably mean pulling the trans and installing a heli-coil.

I am really crossing my fingers, but I have a feeling it will leak...

IMG_20190601_133443 by Shawn Wallbridge, on Flickr

Oh and speaking about fingers, I either suck at making AN hoses, or I have some really ****ty hose, because I cannot seem to be able to actually get a fitting on. I have plenty of holes in all my fingers trying to get them on. And yes I have tried the electrical tape/zip tie tricks, none of them have worked. So I still need to make the trans cooler lines

And I started on the exhaust. I have it most of the way done, but I don't want to finish it until I get the rear bumper. It's done until just past the rear axle.

I was kind of silly and picked up a cheap electric cutout on eBay, so that will be fun Of course, the Black Widow mufflers are suppose to sound pretty good on their own.

IMG_20190601_152021 by Shawn Wallbridge, on Flickr

I am also planning on running an Air - Fuel guage, so I cut out and installed the bungs for the O2 sensors in each bank.

IMG_20190601_161432 by Shawn Wallbridge, on Flickr

I think they were from Speedway, and really not that bad, so even if you don't plan on running O2's, and you are doing a fresh exhaust, I would still put them in and use the block off ports.

This is the first quarter mocked up. I wanted the system to be easy to remove, if needed, so I used a few V-bands. Though I bought cheap ones on eBay, and it isn't worth it. The step the pipe goes in isn't very deep, so it's harder to fit before you weld.

IMG_20190602_175715 by Shawn Wallbridge, on Flickr

When I was cutting the exhaust I came up with the idea of marking where the pipe _should_ be, so it's easier to make sure I am cutting square. I am sure I heard this tip somewhere, but I don't remember where. So, sorry 'bout that.

IMG_20190602_152358 by Shawn Wallbridge, on Flickr

And this is the mostly finished product.

IMG_20190706_160645 by Shawn Wallbridge, on Flickr

It's 2.5" mild steel, so I hit it with VHT high-heat silver. Hopefully it lasts.

Then I found out some disappointing news, which is totally my fault for not thinking of, but I checked the casting code on the back of the block. And I have a 305, not a 350. I absolutely spaced on that code until a few weeks ago. I had tried to find the code on the front, but weirdly enough, it isn' listed anywhere.

This is the casting number on the back...

IMG_20190623_160614 by Shawn Wallbridge, on Flickr

Looks like a 86/87 305 with 140hp

Then I started to strip the headlight covers I picked up on eBay, so I can re-paint them Gloss Black.

IMG_20190707_133539 by Shawn Wallbridge, on Flickr

But before installing the headlights, I wanted to strip and re-paint the front fenders, which I already suspected were in bad shape.

Aaaaand, things escalated....

IMG_20190707_142913 by Shawn Wallbridge, on Flickr

BTW, the Eastwood SCT is amazing, I can't recommend it enough, but the wheels I had were pretty course, so they did leave some scratches in the metal.

The back half of this is the colour I was going to paint it...

IMG_20190707_154951 by Shawn Wallbridge, on Flickr

And, like I said, things escalated.

IMG_20190707_163255 by Shawn Wallbridge, on Flickr

I found more crappy work, this had tape behind it to make sure the bondo didn't push through...

IMG_20190707_163300 by Shawn Wallbridge, on Flickr

And at least they didn't destroy a good panel doing this hack job of a frenched antenna, as it still has plenty of rust holes.

IMG_20190707_163304 by Shawn Wallbridge, on Flickr

IMG_20190707_163316 by Shawn Wallbridge, on Flickr

And here I switched over to using a wire wheel, as the Eastwood had been going sold for at least an hour and was getting pretty warm.

IMG_20190707_180438 by Shawn Wallbridge, on Flickr

But this also kind of sold me on an idea...

I am leaving her naked. Well, three coats of semi-gloss Rustoleum clear cote, but bare underneath.

IMG_20190714_124733 by Shawn Wallbridge, on Flickr

I may have to nickname her, Scar.

Especially after I started to strip the drivers side fender...

IMG_20190707_180458 by Shawn Wallbridge, on Flickr

She is almost going to look like a steel drum.

For reference

I have no idea why it would have this brazed seam...

IMG_20190714_124754 by Shawn Wallbridge, on Flickr

But it looks kind of cool.

And after I installed the headlights, and marker lights.

IMG_20190714_152828 by Shawn Wallbridge, on Flickr

The paint hadn't tried on the trim pieces, but they should look pretty good, they are going to be a gloss black, along with the grill. This was the etching primer, I forgot to take a picture of the gloss black.

IMG_20190714_152818 by Shawn Wallbridge, on Flickr

So next on the list is finish the fuel system, finally finish making the trans cooler lines, and prime the engine. Then, I can start it and see if/how it runs.

But first, I have to finish installing the new doors, and make a couple sliding barn doors for our house.
wally_245 is offline   Reply With Quote