View Single Post
Old 05-30-2010, 09:04 AM   #140
sparkydog

Re: Halfbreed - GMC Z71 + IH Extd Cab

Quote:
Originally Posted by 67ChevyRedneck View Post

What's wrong with the roof?
Me getting too excited and trimming too early before stopping and checking out the arc lines from every angle is what's wrong!

There's two things wrong. One more significant than the other. The first is the arc of the roof from the side. I had a plan on how I thought the roof would lay and how to dial in the arc. But then I just rushed ahead and didn't do what I was supposed to. So from the side the arc is too shallow.

I did stop and check at one point. I even took a picture. But I was all amped up and didn't slow down. It was sort of bugging me but I should have stopped. Now I'm no longer steel safe and that means I will have to add in some metal that needs curves to it in the back. I am glad I saved the rear roof section when I cut up the Travelall because I am going to need some of it now. I also smell bondo in my future.

The second issue is probably not a big deal. I should have listened to my coach (who has been doing rods for 20 years or so) and slit the roof all the way up the sides to near the front windshield. But instead I tried a fancy blend slit just forward of the B pillar and it isn't quite right. Sort of creates a love handle when you look at it from the right position. You can see it in the middle picture of post#138 - right about where the wing chair is in the background. There's an unwanted bulge to the line of the roof. It's even more noticeable from the ground.

Oh well what's another 1/2 day and more time with the cutoff disks. Third try is a charm!
Attached Images

Last edited by sparkydog; 05-30-2010 at 09:22 AM.
sparkydog is offline   Reply With Quote