View Single Post
Old 09-20-2021, 02:48 PM   #11
LT7A

Re: 1980 Chevy K20 Longbed - “Alaskan Gold”

I think I understand what you're saying with ignition components and think similarly. It tends to push me toward running copper plugs since they are inexpensive and I just replace them regularly. I feel like they perform as well as the precious metal plugs, but they just don't last as long. But I saw a chart by NGK, and that's made me think about it more. Obviously, they want to sell more expensive plugs, but I do tend to trust them. Performance-wise, I think ignition components can improve performance in the way of more complete burning of the air / fuel mixture, but they obviously can't add to the mixture itself which is the baseline bringer of performance along with compression. An MSD box allows you to open your spark plug gap by 10 / thousandths, so that ought to allow you to get a better and maybe bigger burn. So I guess from a performance perspective it's taking advantage of all of the air and fuel that's already there, and upgrading where there might have been factory compromises. Other than that, you've got to get more air and fuel, or squish it more if you want more performance.

Last edited by LT7A; 09-20-2021 at 03:06 PM.
LT7A is offline   Reply With Quote