View Single Post
Old 05-06-2022, 03:23 PM   #17
conoco

Re: Finally completed the rear disc replacement on my ho52!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Captain X View Post
How did you handle the e-brake (some people seem uncomfortable with the ones offered in kits like this)? Also, is this one of those kits that moves your tires out a bit, or do they end up in line with stock?
My tires remained the same. However, I will be putting on a 2" spacer to make them even with my front tires. The eaton is a little narrower than the dana 44. I have been driving it for a couple years now the way it is, but it would be nice with them even.

The e brake was a really easy fix. I maintained my stock e brake. Here is what I did.

1. I cut the two bolt fitting off, with my cut off wheel ( Super easy) that is on the stock e brake line that secures it to the old backing plate.

2. I bought just your average e brake cables from napa, they were $22 dollars a piece. They were 25 inches long and I only needed 10". It was the shortest they had, i just needed the ends.

3. Since those lines both have the ends already crimped on to the metal wire, I just measures the extra 10-15 inches of cable I needed and cut the new brake cable.

4. Since the new cable already had one end of the line crimped I just ran the other end of the wire cable through a 1/4 piece of metal brake line tubing that was about 1/8 inch long. I then tied the end that I ran through the tubing in a knot and tig welded it so it was fused. Then I just hooked the new line into the old line using the line connector that was already on the truck from the old system.

essentially everything is the same other than a 10" addition to the cable. It works the same as it did stock and it took about an hour to complete.

Hope I explained it ok and it helps. I am up on the oil fields for the next 2 weeks but when I get home I will take some pictures and post it incase anyone needs it for reference.