View Single Post
Old 09-28-2014, 10:33 PM   #17
Lugnutz65

Re: T5 T-5 transmission to 235 inline or V8 with 10 spline the easy way

Newfisher,
I hope you don't mind me joining this thread. It's right up my alley!

I am in the middle of my T5 installation and I invite everyone to visit my BLOG where I have a T5 section that can help answer many questions people have.

Installing an S10 T5:
Many folks who install an S10 T5 in their older truck choose to use an adapter plate. The adapter plate is helpful, but is not essential. The adapter plate acts as a spacer between the T5 and the bell housing. With an adapter plate, the S10 T5 will not need any modification. However, since an S10 T5 has a 14 spline input shaft, it will require the installation of a new 14 spline clutch disc (1984 S10 clutch disc is 14 spline). The most desirable S10 T5 transmissions have a 0.72 OD gear and are usually found in trucks with a V6 engine.

An S10 T5 can be modified to accept a Jeep T5 input shaft. The swap is simple and uses a new Jeep input shaft - this is what Newfisher did. The Jeep swap accomplishes 2 things - it allows the truck to retain the original 10 spline clutch and pressure plate AND it eliminates the need for an adapter plate.

Installing a Camaro T5:
The V6 Camaro and V8 Camaro T5 transmissions do NOT need adapter plates. However, the Camaro T5 has a shifter position that comes out beneath the bench seat. Folks who choose a Camaro T5 usually choose to change the shifter position by swapping in an S10 tail housing and case cover. That way the shifter comes up through the floor in front of the bench seat like it should. Changing the shifter position by using the S10 parts is not difficult.

Don't let the "World Class" and "non-World Class" issue frustrate you. The differences are minor if you are building a daily driver with a standard L6 or stock 350 V8 and plan to drive like normal people. I have rebuilt a V8 Camaro NWC T5 and it's not difficult. The NWC rebuild kits are affordable.

Lastly, if you shop around for a T5, don't buy one with a FORD case pattern. It will not bolt to your Muncie pattern bell. Yes, GM actually used T5 transmissions with a case that had a FORD bolt pattern from 1993 and up in Camaros/Firebirds and 1994 and up S10 trucks.
Attached Images

Want to know more about T5 transmissions? My website has a T5 Info Page and a Step by Step T5 rebuild.
Lugnutz65 is offline   Reply With Quote