View Single Post
Old 02-11-2017, 10:08 PM   #15
franken

Re: Hard start question

You might try measuring voltage to the block, starter body, and battery - terminal while cranking.
Still wondering what the initial timing is and was at. Maybe I missed it. Initial advance set to not factory settings will cause slow crank because the cylinders are firing too soon.
I have 2 350s w/ headers that start w/ dodgy wiring and no problems. It may be of interest that both use truck bellhousings (3 horizontal bolts) and truck starters. There are actually different motors. If you look at the solenoid to starter + connection, some have a spacer and the starter body is shorter. The spacer is just a small tube.
Moving the ground from the alt bracket of your setup isn't likely to make a difference since it looks recently worked on.

Edit: I may be wrong. I just looked at a couple starters off a 350 and on a 454. Both are the 2 bolt style. The starter bodies were the same length and the solenoids were different lengths. I didn't crawl under the Camaro or pickup that have the other style starters and measure them. The steel motor body was about 5 and 11/16" including the end cap.

Maybe its been mentioned but you should have correct starter bolts and the starter to block bracket.

Last edited by franken; 02-11-2017 at 10:32 PM.
franken is offline   Reply With Quote