View Single Post
Old 08-02-2020, 02:09 PM   #24
Rickysnickers

Re: *Retirement Approching Fast*

Here's my take, FWIW. I just retired in December of last year. I was with a major PD in SoCal for 31 years. Retirement for me has been really rather tough.

Financially, we are fine. My wife works still, as I am only 52. I get/got no medical insurance after I left, and I am sure not going to buy it on the open market and pay up the wahzoo.

Anyway, retirement is good and bad, for me that is. I miss wearing my uniform and some of the things I used to be able to do at work. Mostly, I miss those I worked with. Police and Fire are a family/brotherhood that can't be replaced. There are only a few other occupations where you experience this type of environment. When I left there, I sent out an email and left my # and email address. I wasn't surprised when I never got any calls or messages. It's like you were there and then you aren't, kind of out of sight out of mind. I was never a big shot or badge heavy, but I felt like I was somebody and then I retired. Now it's like I'm just another person and have faded into the background.

On the plus, as somebody else said, find something to do!!! I get up and screw around on the computer. After that, I got out on my road bike and go out for several hours to ride. You NEED to keep your health up, so that you can enjoy for as long as you can!!!! I am also going to build a shop so that I have a place to work on my truck and get back into the woodworking I enjoy doing.
Rickysnickers is offline   Reply With Quote