View Single Post
Old 05-05-2017, 07:07 AM   #7
BOXER957

Re: 55-59 4x4 build....STEERING

Quote:
Originally Posted by yossarian19 View Post
What about this.
Take a likely candidate Chevy steering arm, flip it around so it points forward and angles outward. Ackerman angle should be acceptable / same, I think.
The 55-59 arms have a straight or straightish bore. This lets you use a heim joint & big heavy bolt for the drag link.
Also... how wide is the 80's chevy front axle? It might be wide enough to lessen the turning radius issue...?
Does it look possible you could run a drag link from driver's side box to passenger's knuckle?
I haven't found a solution to any of these suggestions. That's why I posted this thread, I'm hoping someone out there has found a steering arm that fits or a cross steer setup....I've even looked at jeep Cherokees with the box mounted inside the rails and cross steer...really don't want to go backwards though..I already have the chevy axles blasted, painted and on the truck with brand new wheels and tires.