View Single Post
Old 09-02-2010, 05:19 PM   #23
Mike 85
Face your fears

Re: best steps for three foot deep paint job

This is what I was trying to say.CLEAR is what gives the DEPTH to the job.
As i said,It's a magnifier and when done in stages,gives depth IF it's done FLAT. When you go spraying multiple coats,you WILL get wave and this effectively SCREWS the "effect" your after.Unless you flatten out the successive coats,your just going to make it worse.
I never could get the vid link to work,so I had no idea "who" did the experiment but with the "process" described,it "could" work IF done "correctly" and would be an absolute nightmare to repair.I've had to repair kandy work and it's a real PITA!!!!Not "impossiable" but a real test to your chops as a painter.
I will however disagree on clearing over SS as it WILL add depth to the paint job.Same principal with the magnification process.
An excellent example is with a great flake job which is done in steps with cutting the flake with each coat and straight clear coats between flake coats.This gives "space" for reflection as well as magnification.Again,NOT something done in a "couple of days".

Case in point.SS.Black 2 coats of clear and 600 wet then graphics,2 coats clear.
Yeah it's a lawnmower but you SEE the DEPTH involved between the "paint" and graphics and final top coat.No "tricks" with airbrushing,just plain laid out and clear between layers.Yes I know Deere is "wrong" but that was intentional LOL..Inside joke.

My Junk

Last edited by Mike 85; 09-02-2010 at 05:36 PM.
Mike 85 is offline   Reply With Quote