View Single Post
Old 04-19-2022, 10:14 AM   #10
James Lamb

Re: 4L60e controller recommendations

Thanks. By necessity I have learned a lot more about this than I wanted to know. That seems to increasingly be the case with all of my older vehicles. I did find out that I can buy a speed sensor from Dakota Digital to provide the speed signal to the transmission, and it will let me use the existing oem speedometer. No pricey speed hut speedometer adapter needed.

This is all part of getting the Burb back on the road. I have a newer Ram truck, but I'm at close to 200,000 miles, which has been extremely reliable, but I'm starting to see the "nickel and dime" things approaching. Except they are $600-$800 things. By the time I'm done, I will have a completely new engine, electronically controlled fuel injection and timing, electronically controlled transmission, and still be at about the price of a new engine for the Ram, assuming I did all the grunt work. I'm long past thinking that lying on a cold concrete floor, even in my really nice shop, is fun. I just want my cars to work. Without spending an absolute fortune for what new ones cost now. Once I have everything done and I know what the final mpg is, I'll post some info in case anyone else is interested in going that way. $88,000 for a new truck is pretty hard to swallow. I can buy a lifetime of gasoline for the price difference.

"Interesting" is a polite word for my car collection. The jeep was my dad's, and the car I learned to drive on, when I was about 11 or 12. My grandmother had a 35-acre farm, and when we played army, I got to drive the jeep around this giant field, my dad was a collector of military stuff, so we had everything except real firearms. We thought we were hot stuff. We used to pretend to be "Rat Patrol", if anyone else here is old enough to remember that reference.

The Triumph I bought when I was 18 - so, you know, recently I've had both of them running, but right now yet another house restoration (my last) takes up most of my time, so those 2 might not get finished until retirement - assuming I get to retire.

The BMW is actually my daily driver. And I've just realized I have pictures of none of them except the Suburban. Hmm.
Attached Images

1959 Triumph TR3A
James Lamb is offline   Reply With Quote