View Single Post
Old 03-11-2017, 12:21 AM   #17
oldman3

Re: 1954 Truck, Mustang II, Caster Issue

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hampshire View Post
oldman3 - this system has been around for a while. Over the years, the 4-5" drop with a narrow track has more less become the standard. I am maybe the least qualified on this thread to talk about suspension, but I seriously doubt that the differences you mention are any part of the problem. This system was designed by Jim Weimer. He was an early innovator in Mustang II systems. When Jim passed away, the design went to JW Rod Garage. They, in turn sell parts of this (like the hats and cross member) to Gayle Richards. He then builds a similar system to slightly different specs. Gayle origially worked for/with Jim Weimer for many years. So, you can see there is a lot of history in use & development. All then name brands are very cool, but there are others out there, too who have been at it for quite a while and have a following.

Nice to see everyone chime in. I know the OP appreciates all your help/advice.
Thank you so much for all the additional info on this set-up. I know a Gayle Bridges (of Gayleco in Arkansas) that makes front ends, is this the same guy. I've installed two of his units in cars. I've purchased several items from JW Rod garage. One customer choice Gaylco front end over JW Rod Garage, which are both good units. You are correct there are several talented engineers out there making kits, and I know very little compared to them...Jim
oldman3 is offline   Reply With Quote