Thread: 87 tbi upgrades
View Single Post
Old 01-11-2018, 09:58 AM   #4
Mattchu60

Re: 87 tbi upgrades

TBI makes changing parts very difficult. It may be able to adapt to closed loop style driving (cruising, light acceleration) but the moment you go into open loop, your computer will run off pre-determined fuel tables in the ECM, it ignores the O2 readings so you won't take advantage of the upgraded parts.

What you need is to have the ECM reprogrammed. I know TBI chips has been suggested, but I would suggest what I am using instead - Dynamic EFI. Its a very steep learning curve, but after time you will start to understand it. In a nutshell, you send your ECM to the owner of the business, he replaces some of the boards inside with updated tech and you get an ECM back that is able to "learn" to a limited degree and also is fully programmable with a laptop.

I am running the following combo - Iron Eagle heads, around 9.4:1 compression (wanted to run 87 octane) pistons, edelbrock intake (non-TBI), using a plate to mount TBI on the intake i got off Ebay (its nice quality - I think its Inject-it brand?), Holley 670 TBI and a comp TBI friendly cam - 1,000-5,000 rpm range.

This combo is working great for me - I think vortec heads and the GMPP TBI/Vortec intake would also be a great choice.

If you stick with stock TBI - get the adjustable regulator and a handheld gauge so you can check the pressure and adjust it.

The single best thing you can do for tuning after you have all the changes made is this - wideband o2 sensor. This will give you a massive amount of data for tuning - the stock O2 sensor is narrowband. Plus the Dynamic EFI system I mentioned above will talk with a wideband O2 sensor and you can have it learn the full fuel table using it.

Also you can adjust timing and other things with Dynamic EFI - cant say enough good about it - the guy who sells offers great tech support (email only). Although I will say again - learning curve is very steep and takes a lot of practice.
Mattchu60 is offline   Reply With Quote