View Single Post
Old 09-12-2015, 12:37 AM   #110
GASoline71
"I ain't nobody, dork."

Re: Out of the Ditch = The Rebuild Begins ('72 GMC)

Quote:
Originally Posted by swamp rat View Post
Yea i had that grittie worthless insulation crap sprayed inside my doors too.

Just a fyi, if you can get away with it try and just replace patches on the outer skin and treat the folds with a rust mort of some kind that is liquid and seaps into cracks ect.

I cut about 2" below the body line and took my lower skin off, what i didn't know is that the door skin has a contour front to back and sticks out about 3/8"further in the middle than the ends, when i cut it off the door skin the built in stress relieved inward and whamo no more contour front to back, it went straight across. Welding a replacement skin on and even being super carful to not let it get hot it still wants to go further inward so i cut and removed that skin and started a second time. I followed the advice of another forum member and bought a length of 3/4" angle which was lighter duty than i wanted, i shrunk one edge to put a contour into it, clamped into place and then drilled 1/8" holes, then i took the angle off and drilled the skin up to 1/4" and reclamped the angle then spot welded the angle in place, then i spot welded the skin in place, it still shrunk inward enough that i want to start over again and plan to soon. The point of this is that replacing the lower skin is a pain in the A** so avoid it at all cost..
That's exactly what I was wanting to hear. Too bad you had to go through all that swampy. But I intend to just do the small pitted areas and replace the lower inner of the door. Luckily that sprayed in mess doesn't go all the way to the bottom of the door so it shouldn't interfere with what I have to cut out.

Appreciate the heads up on the door skin. I really wasn't looking forward to replacing it. Still, I will have to be careful in bending back the lip around the lower part of the door to get the inner part out.

I've heard and read good things on using Rust Mort. So I'll be using that as well.
Quote:
Originally Posted by 69chevytrucker View Post
oops guess i should have read further before i offered up the frame didnt see that you fixed it lol
No worries my friend! Thank you for your generous offer. But like you read, I have had a '69 C10 frame for over a year awaiting the cab and bed from my '72. Trust me... there will be someone from this forum that will want that frame. Especially with the disc brake swap up front already done!

Thanks!

Gary

My 1972 GMC 1500 Super Custom (Creeping Death) "long term" build thread.

The Rebuild of Creeping Death after the wreck

Quote:
Originally Posted by LONGHAIR View Post
I would never rebuild a 305.
Quote:
Originally Posted by prostreetC-10 View Post
I love using vacuum gauges as part of the carb tuning process. I hook the gauge to the inside of my garbage can and leave it there.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Marv D View Post
Remember Murphys 2nd law of mechanical relationships... "OPPOSING COMPONENTS ATTEMPTING TO OCCUPY THE SAME SPACE, AT THE SAME TIME, GENERALLY END UP OCCUPYING ADJOINING SPACE AT THE BOTTOM OF THE OIL PAN"
Quote:
Originally Posted by cableguy0 View Post
Its cheaper to listen to advice given when you ask for help than it is to ignore everyone and wait for carnage.
GASoline71 is offline   Reply With Quote