View Single Post
Old 09-25-2017, 06:37 PM   #1
LukeC10

How to adjust steering wheel position?

My 1981 non-tilt steering wheel is about 1/4 turn of the shaft off. I have pulled the steering wheel itself off thinking I could change position of it, but you can't because the turn signal cam has a plastic piece for the horn that goes through the steering wheel - and the steering wheel has to be aligned to that; if you try to change the position of the turn signal cam itself then it won't be lined up right to turn your turn signals off - and right now the cam itself is off - so it appears my actual steering shaft is whats off if that makes sense. Next I pulled the steering shaft off of the gear at the steering box, thinking I could change the spline position - however the gear on the steering box has a flat spot and the shaft must line up with that... behind this there is a disc with two bolts which I think you could unbolt and swap positions, but that would turn shaft 1/2 turn - I need 1/4... next I pulled the bolt at the top area of the shaft under the brake master cylinder and the c-clip there and pryed on it but nothing wanted to move much and due to the rectangular shape of how that plugs in to its female end it looks to me like it would be another situation where you can only turn it even 1/2 turn increments - when I need 1/4, so I gave up there...

I'm completely at a loss here for how the hell you are supposed to adjust the shaft at all? If there is no adjustment then I wonder if my steering box is off/defective? (the previous owner replaced the steering box...)

Any help would be great, I've given up.
LukeC10 is offline   Reply With Quote